Friday, October 02, 2009

The Road Ahead

My wonderful new friends at the ACFW have been helping me with a writing question this week. There has been much discussion from all over the world, and emails have gone back and forth in earnest contemplation. There is a wealth of experience there and I am privileged to listen in.


I even emailed my question to an award winning author, who generously took time from her busy schedule to answer.


In a nutshell, this is what I was pondering.


Will my locally set Historical Romance capture the attention of an audience outside Australia?


This was her wise advice.


“Write what you LOVE to write.....writing a full manuscript is an education in itself. When you're just starting out, it's best not to think about marketing. Better to write a brilliant manuscript that no editor can refuse--regardless of the setting. And that's not just words, it's the truth. It's what I did.”


And then there was this last Sunday at church.
Our older congregation members were celebrated as “those saints who have been at the foot of the cross a little longer than the rest of us.”
They know things. Things about life and faith, about sorrow and hope for the future. They have journeyed to where I want to go. They have broken the ground before me and I can see them up ahead.


There are many along this road, some older and some are younger.  Thankfully, they’re happy to stop along the way and point out the tracks their journey has made. And as I follow, I hope to reach a hand out to those who will come alongside me, because a journey is ''best measured in friends rather than miles."


1 Thessalonians 5:11
Therefore encourage one another and build each other up.