Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Somewhere over the Rainbow - Part One

Many thanks to those who prayed and thought of me during my recent travels to the US for the ACFW annual conference. I sensed your prayers each day as God heard and answered them... and boy, did I have myself an adventure! 

You will be pleased to know I made it there and back safely, with or without the help of Sir Richard Branson who journeyed on the same flights with me from Sydney to LA and then onward to Indianapolis.

It's not everyday the world's 212th richest billionaire and boss of an airline announces he is onboard for the 15 hour flight. Fellow V-Australia travelers were thrilled he took the time to wander the aisles and greet his passengers. I wondered how much safer the trip would be for the rest of us, with the owner sleeping in the pointy end of the plane. Would the flight crew treat us with greater care knowing the boss might be watching? Would the pilots double and triple check all their gadgetry before take off and landing? 

While the thrill of meeting famous celebrities (yes, there were TWO famous Aussies on board as well as Sir Richard) lasted a brief moment, it was the assurance my friends and family held me up in prayer that counted when the lights were dimmed. As we cut a path through the night sky over the Pacific ocean and people drifted into a restless sleep, I held onto the promise tucked firmly in my heart.

Indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither 
sleep nor slumber,
The Lord watches over you - 
The Lord is your shade at your right hand - Psalm 121:4-5

Armed with the knowledge the great creator of Everyman, rich or poor, was listening to your prayers, I closed my eyes to dream of what the new day held in a land far away...  far beyond the rainbow.