Sunday, March 18, 2012

March 18 - A Corner of Your Home
Marchphotoaday

I inherited a 6 drawer wooden cupboard from my dear grandmother. It had always filled a corner of her bedroom and I took it gladly when it was offered to me, as I love to have her things around me.

Now it sits on a corner of the landing at Crabapple House, topped by a few of my pretties in the shadow of an old Singer sewing machine. The machine hints at what sleeps inside those deep drawers, for they hold my quilting and sewing gear. There's an unfinished patchwork top in there, lengths of fabric I've squirrelled for a project I may get to sometime, and a tangled mess of feathered wool from last decade. All incomplete projects I had to fish out and identify for this blog post.


As I opened each drawer, a deeper flush of shame pinned me, as I pushed one incomplete craft aside to unearth the next.

And then, I found it. A pattern for woollen mittens I'd knitted for two of my kids one winter. One black pair, the other dark green.

Mittens, people! Not just a straight line of knit/purl for a simple scarf, but the shaping of wool to fit human hands. Even now, I'm not sure how I managed it, but the creased pattern pages serve to remind me I did follow instructions to the very last,

...seam cuff, palm and thumb - darn ends. 

I needed to rummage around this cupboard today. To the left of where it sits, is my writing room. Stored on my computer I have articles in draft form I'd like to submit to magazines. I have the shells of novels, yet unwritten. I have The Everlasting dancing its way to completion, and I am, each day overwhelmed with the business of unfinished writing.

But the memory of those mittens fuels me to consider, even I am an unfinished project. God is not done with me either. He's still working on the slipped threads of my life and fashioning me to become the woman He desires.

So I press on with the works He's put in my heart with a new measure of gladness tonight, as I consider my Heavenly Father is also at work in me. Still.



For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you,
will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus. 
Phillipians 1:6