Sunday, March 25, 2012

March 25 - Breakfast
Marchphotoaday

If I wasn't gluten intolerant, I'd eat pancakes with maple syrup and strawberries for breakfast every day. My sensible breakfast, of two boiled eggs however, comes a close second in the deliciousness stakes, especially as I know the generous hens who've contributed.

Imagine my thrill when I cracked open this egg to discover a double-yolker. Laid fresh only yesterday, there's nothing like sitting down to double the blessing. It's not the first time I've cracked an egg to be delighted by two yolks. But it never gets old.


It reminds me of the old hymn, Count Your Blessings, something I don't always do first. There are days when I'm more focused on what I don't have, and grizzle at what I believe I have the right to expect. Today, God reminded me of all I do have, thanks to Him, and all He's added as extra blessings. Just because He loves to do that sort of thing. 

The writer of Count Your Blessings, Johnson Oatman Jr, was an American born in 1856. Some say Count Your Blessings was his finest hymn. So great was the enthusiasm when it reached the revival halls of Great Britain in the late 1890s, it was celebrated as America's greatest hymn.

The London Daily reported, 'In South London, the men sing it, the boys whistle it, and the women rock their babies to sleep on this hymn.' I'm guessing every generation needs to stop and consider what God has done for them. The Londoners of the 1890s were no different in heart, to the Melbournians of today. We all get distracted by our 'woes', but discouragement is fought when we list God's blessings and turn our focus on Him.

So amid the conflict whether great or small,
Do not be discouraged, God is over all.
Count your many blessings, angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey's end.

Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God has done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your many blessings, see what God hath done. 

I know it's a little old fashioned to be humming hymns from more than 100 years ago. Especially with all the great worship songs we have to encourage us today. But there are times when I love to dip into the old hymnal for something special. To crack open its pages and sing along with the heart of the old hymn writers. To count my blessings, and be surprised afresh with all the great things He has done.