Friday, August 10, 2012

The Long Winter

I don't normally long for winter to end. Every other year I'm the last to farewell cold nights and miserable days, because to me they bring hours by the fire with a good book. 

But this year... this year we've had more rain than any winter over the last ten years. At least that's how it feels to me. And I am now, like many of my warm loving friends, looking for winter's tail. Not that I'd slam the door on her, but I will close it with a firm tap and hide the key. 

I am done with rain and slate skies. Tired of bare limbs on my favourite trees and the smack of air, heavy with the empty promise of snow. I want to linger when I visit with my chickens, not throw a hasty bucket of food their way and hightail it back to the house.

And while I welcome God's good rain after many years of Australian drought conditions, I also welcome relief from bruised skies and wet floors. But with one more month in her lease, winter will not take her leave so easily. 

So what do you do on a rainy day? What's your favourite wet weather activity?

Mine's to hide in a long book or fill the house with the rewards of a hearty baking session. Or perhaps, if I can be greedy and take two... read while my baking rises to a golden crust. 

What's yours?