Monday, April 21, 2014

Lori Benton ~ The Pursuit Of Tamsen Littlejohn


I'm thrilled to welcome Lori Benton back to Ink Dots. Lori was raised east of the Appalachian Mountains, surrounded by early family history going back three hundred years. Her novels transport readers to the eighteenth century, where she brings to life the Colonial and early Federal periods of American history. When she isn’t writing, reading, or researching, Lori enjoys exploring the Oregon wilderness with her husband. She is the author of Burning Sky and The Pursuit of Tamsen Littlejohn.

The Pursuit of Tamsen Littlejohn

Frontier dangers cannot hold a candle to the risks one woman takes by falling in love 

In an act of brave defiance, Tamsen Littlejohn escapes the life her harsh stepfather has forced upon her. Forsaking security and an arranged marriage, she enlists frontiersman Jesse Bird to guide her to the Watauga settlement in western North Carolina. But shedding her old life doesn’t come without cost. As the two cross a vast mountain wilderness, Tamsen faces hardships that test the limits of her faith and endurance.

Convinced that Tamsen has been kidnapped, wealthy suitor Ambrose Kincaid follows after her, in company with her equally determined stepfather. With trouble in pursuit, Tamsen and Jesse find themselves thrust into the conflict of a divided community of Overmountain settlers. The State of Franklin has been declared, but many remain loyal to North Carolina. With one life left behind and chaos on the horizon, Tamsen struggles to adapt to a life for which she was never prepared. But could this challenging frontier life be what her soul has longed for, what God has been leading her toward? As pursuit draws ever nearer, will her faith see her through the greatest danger of all—loving a man who has risked everything for her?

Lori Says...

If I could eat anywhere in the world tomorrow, it would be... I like Italian food, so I’ll say Italy. I‘d like to try some authentic Italian food, and I hear their pizza is not like American pizza. Who knew? Yes, I hear the pizzas cooked in Italy are something else! Yum.. I hope you get to eat there soon. 

Lori Benton
The most unusual job I've ever had is... a summer internship in the graphic art department of the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History in Washington DC. I won this internship on the strength of an essay, and joined a troop of graduated high school seniors from around the country, in various internship positions throughout the Smithsonian complex. Because I lived locally, I didn’t room with the rest of the interns, but came into DC each day on a bus that arrived an hour before I had to be at work, and before the museum opened to the public. So for an hour each morning that summer I was able to roam to corridors of my favorite childhood museum, and have it all to myself. Well, me and the cleaning crew. Wow, sounds like a dream summer!! 

My all-time favourite movie is... either Amazing Grace or Last of the Mohicans. I can never decide. I’ve watched both countless times. 

I can't wait for the calendar to flip over to… the day I’m ushered into the presence of Jesus Christ, my love and my hero, whenever that day may be. No blessing here on earth could compare with that moment. 

When I was a child I most feared... probably speaking to people I didn’t know. I was a paralyzingly shy child, at times. I still am deep down, but I’ve learned to overcome it. 

If I had a pet kangaroo, I'd name it... after a fictional character I like. My current dog’s name is General Ka D’argo (from Farscape), Dargo for short. Perhaps I’d name it Brother Cadfael, if it was a boy. That's so interesting, Lori. I'm almost sure there's no kangaroo in Australia named, Brother Cadfael! Thanks for sharing with us, this week. 

*****

If you'd like to win a signed copy of Lori's The Pursuit of Tamsen Littlejohn or Lori's debut Burning Sky (fabulous book I'm reading right now) please leave a comment below. Two lucky winners will be announced on Friday. 

Tell us if you were a shy child like Lori, or if you didn't mind the attention of an audience. 

Good luck and happy reading,